Saturday, September 8, 2012

An English affair: Scones

Teatime is my absolute favourite time at work because I finally get to have a short rest and indulge myself in all the yummy goodies made by colleagues:) And on one special day, I was lucky enough to stuff down two (or three??) amazing tasting scones made by my colleague and since then, have wanted to try making them myself.

I've got this recipe from Jamie's Great Britain cookbook and was impressed by the end results (despite being skeptical initially).

Ingredients:
150g cold unsalted butter
500g self raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons caster sugar
Sea salt
2 eggs
4 tablespoons milk plus extra if needed


Jamie recommends placing all the dry ingredients in a bowl and rub the butter into it. I did exactly as stated and ended up with the above picture.

I then rolled it out between two sheets of baking paper before cutting it (saves me cleaning time hehe).

Bake at 180C for 12 to 15 minutes. Make sure you brush some egg wash on top for that beautiful golden colour:)

Note to self: do not roll out too thin. I didn't read that line in the book and ended up with a thin first batch of scones. Ooopsies..

Second batch was much better as I made sure the height was at least 2.5cm.

Time for some proper food pictures!

Lemon chamomille tea brewing~

Scones can be served with jam, cream or butter but in my case, I wanted to stuff some strawberry slices in mine hehe.







Can't wait to get outside for some badly needed spring sunlight (and to send some winter coats for dry cleaning)!!

No comments: