Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Roti Boy aka Mexican Bun recipe

I am never a fan of summer in Adelaide as it's usually a scorching hot experience that makes me wish I had the luxury of frequenting coffee shops just for their air conditioning (and probably lounge there until they shut!). As I was doomed to be at home on a few days, I've decided to turn it into a positive experience by acquainting myself with the good ol' yeast.

I have tried baking bread in winter previously but the cold weather does not really give the yeast much warmth to initiate the process so I have succumbed to baking tarts in the winter. Not that it's a bad thing, really.

Been meaning to attempt making Roti Boy aka Mexican bun which is a popular snack in Malaysia. Coffee scent and fluffy bread ticked! I used this recipe from Rasa Malaysia and am glad that it worked wonders..now I just need to do some minor tweaking the next time I bake it (only because I made a few bloopers along the way! oops!).

Ingredients:
500g bread flour
80g caster sugar
9g salt
20g milk powder
10g dry yeast
60g butter
280ml water
1 large egg
100g butter (filling)

1. Combine yeast in the lukewarm water and allow to sit for 5 minutes until foam appears.
2. Mix bread flour, caster sugar, salt and milk powder together. Pour in yeast mixture, the egg and let the mixer do the job (I am that lazy haha).
3. Once mixture appears to have a shiny, elastic appearance, add the butter (in small chunks). Keep kneading with the machine until it appears to be well combined (not greasy but instead, elastic). This might take about 4 minutes on top of the 10 minutes spent for step 2.
3. Cover dough with a cloth and allow to proof for a good 45 minutes
4. Knock back dough and divide into 25g portions. Place a small cube of butter in the middle of the each individual dough. Allow to proof for an extra 30 minutes

Coffee topping:
200g butter
160g icing
3 eggs
2 tbsp coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp water
200g plain flour

5. Cream butter and icing together before adding eggs and coffee mix. Add plain flour. Pipe onto buns before baking at 180C for 15 minutes (depending on your oven temperature).

Verdict: my topping was a slight runny, probably because there was not much body in it in the first place. Might redo this again but perhaps use 1 egg less and maybe swapping the plain flour for self raising flour (my topping was kinda drooping lol).

Aside from that, was pretty impressed at a first time effort and will definitely reattempt this again:)








No comments: