Tuesday, May 20, 2014

La Tombola Italian Restaurant

I was craving for Italian food a week ago and so, have listed a few Italian restaurants in Adelaide that I have yet to go. This type of cuisine reminds me of pasta, just to show how much I know about Italy. I am certain that there are more culinary surprises to experience from the Italians but for now, I am craving either a gnocchi dish or ravioli (have not had the latter before but no harm in trying!).

La Tombola was on my list and having an discount coupon from the Adelaide entertainment book sweetened up the deal a lot. Rang the restaurant for reservations and soon thereafter, I planted myself in this comfortable family style restaurant. It was indeed a busy Saturday and boy, was I pleased about making that reservation!

Bruschetta Ai Bocconcini ~ Slices of toasted bruschetta topped with roma tomatoes, basil, bocconcini, anchovies and drizzled with olive oil. Jamie Oliver's tv series had taught me about the affairs Italians have with their raw ingredients aka the less handling done, the better it is! This was no exception to that saying. It was a very simple dish but everything marry well together (a future kitchen experiment inspiration!).


Insalata Calda di Calamari ~ deep fried calamari with semi-dried tomatoes, capsicum, Spanish onion in a balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil dressing. Very fresh but would have liked a bit more calamari for this entree. That's just me being greedy because I really did liked it:)

Spaghetti Marinara ~ fresh seafood with garlic, herbs and extra virgin olive oil in tomato sauce. Once again, simplicity wins hands down. No overcooking or complicating those sweet seafood flavours. Tomato sauce was not overpowering the entire plate and what harm can a sprinkle of parsley do.

Patate Arrostite ~ roasted baby potatoes with rosemary and garlic butter. Crisp on the outside and fluffy soft on the inside ticked.

Ravioli Ortolani Rosati ~ ricotta and spinach ravioli with roasted eggplant, zucchini, sun dried tomatoes in a rose sauce. I never had ravioli before and so, can't really give a detailed verdict of this dish. The ravioli's filling was a bit thinner than expected but then again, it's filled with cheese which melts at higher temperatures. Lots of veges in this dish which are prepared well.

Overall, we had a good experience here albeit not trying their desserts. Perhaps another time but next time round, I shall attempt their risotto dishes:)

La Tombola Italian Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments: