Thursday, November 20, 2014

Lune Croissanterie, Elwood MELB

Upon hearing that I need to wake up at 6.30am on a Sunday morning and wait in line for at least 30 minutes before getting my hands on anything, I was very reluctant to even get out of bed. Gave in to temptation, afterall, I do love a good piece of baked croissant in the morning and surely it is something worth raving about if people are willing to queue for it, no?

Arrived here at 7.20am and despite the light drizzle, there must have been at least 10 people already waiting in line. Fearing that I may lose my number in the line, I held on to my ticket and OCD-ly look at it. When the names started to roll out, my heart skipped a beat as I surely do not want to miss my place in the queue just because I dozed off in the corner of the street!

Each person can only purchase a maximum of 6 items which I think, is pretty fair considering that there are so many people waiting in line and to be leave without anything is too cruel for the soul. The waffling scent of baked croissants gave me the extra bit of boost I needed to stay awake. We had strategically decided on what to get so that we could sample everything on the menu.

These baked goodies are not exactly pocket friendly but I wouldn't a good treat every now and then. They are possibly one of the best croissants I have tasted in Melbourne so far and so, I would highly recommend coming here if you love croissants as much as I do.

Rhubarb danish ~ yum yum yum. Pastry was extremely flaky and butter. Rhubarb was cooked just right aka not too soggy nor undercooked.

We were also introduced to the twice baked croissant concept which utilizes leftover croissants from yesterday's baking. These "unwanted" babies are then baked again but this time round, stuffed with a vivid array of ingredients that is only limited by your imagination. We had the almond croissant which was generously stuffed with a nut paste and topped with flaked almonds and a good dusting of icing sugar. It was extremely sinful but so worth the run on the treadmill.

On that particular week, the twice baked croissant came in three different flavours: almond croissant, pandan croissant and sticky date pudding croissant. The pandan croissant had a good kick of pandan cream that had been thinly spread on the halved croissant before it enters the oven.

Sticky date pudding croissant ~ extremely sinful and at $12.50, this has to be the most expensive croissant I have bought in my life. It comes with a cup of vanilla gelato and as you can see, it was generously drizzled with butterscotch sauce. I was told to consume it soonest possible. No problems there. I felt a big sugar rush after I downed half of this but I still wanted more. Ok, so maybe a run on the treadmill for two days?

Peanut butter and jelly cruffin ~ basically a croissant baked in a muffin tin. I grew up eating peanut butter and jam so this brought back good memories. The peanut butter cream was not too heavy and that bit of jelly topping added a nice tangy flavour to the savoury cream.

Overall, one must head here at least once when in Melbourne. I have not tried real French croissants before and can only imagine what it will be like if I do step into that land.

Ps, this place only opens on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

  Lune Croissanterie on Urbanspoon

No comments: