Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Tipo 00, CBD MELB

Recently awarded best casual dining in Melbourne by the Australia Good Food Guide (AGFG), expectations were high before I even set foot into the restaurant. The restarant was fully booked out for the night but we were offered seats at the bar which can accommodate about 8 diners. No rest for the wicked indeed as staff members can be seen zipping around diners and the kitchen, and remaining calm/ composed throughout this hectic dinner service.

We did not have a must-try dish that night and decided to opt for the chef's menu. Ok, fine, I did a little background research prior and was secretly pleased to know that the chef's menu had a few of the dishes that I wanted to try. The rest will have to be a surprise:)


Mushroom arancini ~ these were beyond amazing in terms of texture and flavour. Each little ball has a good dose of earthy aroma from the mushrooms and all the softness from the risotto is counteracted by the thin, crisp exterior coating.

Burrata cheese, heirloom tomatoes and sour dough ~ this reminded me of a traditional Spanish breakfast and I can imagine that a similar concept happens in Italy. I have tried everything on the plate separately to better understand their flavour profile and once I combined every bit of it on the spoon, it brought back fond memories of my European travels.

Lingua ~ grilled ox tongue, balsamic vinegar and pink peppercorns. I am not one to appreciate exotic parts of an animal and found this difficult to consume. The addition of the balsamic vinegar reduction alleviated the strong taste from the ox tongue though. Thumbs up for the evenly sliced and grilled ox tongue pieces that must have been a tedious kitchen task.

Tagliolini al nero ~ squid ink tagliolini, squid and bottarga. I loved how fresh this entire dish was. The sauce or dressing that comes with the tagliolini was mildly acidic and has a lovely perfume to it.

Gnocchi di patate ~ braised duck, porcini mushroom and pecorino pepato. Gnocchi was pillowy soft and came in bite sized pieces, perfect for mingling with the stronger flavours coming from the cheese and duck.

Insalata de radicchio ~ rocket, pear and balsamic. A classic combination to freshen up your palate in between the mains. Gotta try using this pairing for my own salad meals!

Pannacotta with hibiscus, blueberries and vermouth ~ always my favourite part to any meal, a lot rides on this to deliver and it did, Admittedly, I am no fan of pannacotta but am officially converted after that night. Silky smooth with a slight wobble effect, this neutral flavoured dessert pairs well with the acidic elements on the plate. For every pannacotta fan out there, this is highly recommended in my books.

Tipomisu ~ no strange to desserts, tiramisu is a must have to end any Italian meals. I was hoping to get a bigger portion for this favourite dessert of mine haha. Hands down the best tiramisu I have had - decadent,fudgey chocolate cake infused with a good kick of caffeine, drizzled with salted caramel sauce and surrounded by the milder flavoured mascarpone cheese. Such an amazing dessert and one that I will happily knock on their doors for more.

Tipo 00 Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments: