Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Kung Fu Burger, South Yarra MELB

I have been indulging in a few burgers this year, possibly on a monthly basis. Not a habit that I would actively promote (not one that I do honestly regret:p) but it did give me a chance to sample some unforgettable versions around Melbourne's eastern suburbs which saw me coming back for seconds.

Kung fu burgers are the new kids on the busy Chapel Street, having opened it's doors to the public for almost two months now. Almost every item on the menu has a distinct Asian charm infused into it be it in the form of the toppings added onto the chips or the sauce used to dress each burger.

 So how did the guys behind this burger joint performed?

Nutella & Oreo milkshake - I loved how this was not overly sweet nor was it overly thick in terms of consistency. Often times, the amount of sugar added can mask the overall flavour and one slurp is more than enough to put me off. Am a big fan of cookie crumbs on my food/drinks and this cup gets the thumbs up from me.

Oh Crab! - tempura soft shell crab, wasabi mayo, tomato and lettuce. Very rarely do I reach out for seafood and strangely enough, I tend to order seafood types of burgers when I crave for burgers. Soft shell crab was crisp, juicy and most importantly, not dripping in oil from the deep frying process. The wasabi mayo may sound intimidating but it was mild enough to not leave tears streaming down my face.

Bruce's chips - I have had quite a few different types of loaded chips before and this beats all of them hands down. Topped with a generous serve of pulled pork, jalapeno, sriracha mayo, spring onion and bonito flakes, I happily finished most of this myself. A good combination of savoury, sour and sweet flavours intertwined together. Again, plus points for not being soaked/ dripping in oil.

Jumbo Aussie rule - WL is a fan of beef burgers and he was quick to note that the aroma from frying the beef patties were different compared to other establishments, a sign of different marinades used in the beef mince. Juicy, moorish and picturesque, it ticked all the boxes on what makes a good classic, no frills burger.

Because I liked the Bruce's chips a lot, here is a bonus picture of it if the previous one was not enough to tempt you;)

Many thanks to the team at Kung Fu Burger for having me and for those interested, these guys do UberEats, Foodora and if you are nearby the area on a late Friday or Saturday night, be sure to popped by to get your fix here.

Kung Fu Burger Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments: